MT|SHRM Professional Development Scholarship (PDS)
Current MT|SHRM members who have been chapter members for at least one year, and are in a Human Resources-related position are eligible to apply for an MT|SHRM scholarship. Professional development opportunities include:
- Certification Preparation Course, materials and/or exam fees
- Professional development HR-related courses
- College degree programs in HR-related fields (undergraduate and graduate, both full-time and part-time)
- Regional, state or national HR-related conferences
- Courses, seminars, or other programs that supplement HR-related knowledge and education
scholarship Amounts awarded
The MT|SHRM PDS program offers the following scholarship amounts per calendar year, subject to the scholarship budget approved annually by the MT|SHRM Board of Directors:
- MT|SHRM Certification Preparation Course (CPC) (including the SHRM Learning System) – Maximum amount awarded is $595.00. (Current cost of the CPC is $995 and membership is required.)
- Certification Exam – SHRM-CP/SCP, PHR, SPHR, GPHR and other recognized certifications: up to 75% of the exam cost and limited to the maximum award amounts listed below.
- MT|SHRM Leadership Development Program (LDP) – Maximum amount awarded is $550.00 (Current cost of the LDP is $995 for MT|SHRM members, $1,135 for non-members.)
- Other Professional Development Opportunities – Ensure up to 75% of the conference fee.
How much in scholarship funds is available?
|MT|SHRM Leadership Development Scholarship||$ 595|
MT|SHRM Certification Preparation Scholarship,
|Certification Exam Scholarship||up to 75% of
|SHRM Volunteer Leadership Summit||Travel, Lodging
Other Professional Development Scholarships
Members with less than 1 full year must wait until after they have renewed their membership to apply. Applicants that are in transition must be a member for at least one year prior to application. All scholarships granted apply towards the lifetime maximum.
How does the selection process work?
Applications will be evaluated for scholarship awards based on the following criteria:
- 40% Work experience/progression and future career objectives in HR-related fields
- 20% Volunteer/leadership contribution and activity within MT|SHRM and/or other professional HR-related organizations
- 40% Financial need
Is MT|SHRM chapter volunteer experience required to apply for a scholarship?
No. Experience as a chapter volunteer is preferred, and those applications will be considered first, but past volunteer experience is not required. The Scholarship Committee will consider volunteer activities with other professional organizations as deemed appropriate.
When may I apply?
Applications deadlines: 60 days prior to event, seminar, etc. unless otherwise noted.
- MT|SHRM Certification Preparation Course – Varies based on Preparation Course schedules for Spring and Fall sessions (to be announced). Generally awarded in February and August
- Certification Exam – Varies based on Certification Preparation Course schedules for Spring and Fall sessions (to be announced). Generally awarded in February and August
- MT|SHRM Leadership Development Program – Varies based on schedule of the Leadership Development Program (to be announced)
- Other Professional Development Opportunities – Applications for other professional development opportunities can be made throughout the year
- Courses taken, enrolled in or otherwise in process prior to application of the scholarship are ineligible.
How do I apply?
MT|SHRM chapter members must complete the Professional Development Scholarship Application online at least 60 days prior to the event, seminar or program start, etc. unless otherwise noted. You will be required to log in with your member ID and will need the following documents to complete the application:
- Your current resume
- Letter of Recommendation from current or past supervisor (if in transition). If applicable, letter should indicate financial need, e.g., "Our company does not pay for professional development," etc. This is not required if you are applying for a Professional Development Scholarship to attend one of MT|SHRM’s conferences which includes the Benefits & Compensation Conference, Talent Management Conference, Employment Law Conference, Diversity & Inclusion Conference, and the annual TN SHRM State Conference & Exposition.
- Form W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification (click here to download a W-9 from irs.gov)
The Scholarship Committee will notify applicants of the award decision within 2-3 weeks of the application.
If selected, when do I get the award?
MT|SHRM will endeavor to mail all scholarship checks within two weeks of the award notification. These checks are made directly to the educational institution, organization or applicant, as applicable. All non-student scholarship funds granted will be paid directly to the provider.
For additional information, email questions to [email protected]
MT|SHRM Student Scholarship Information
- Completed Student Scholarship application
- Current copy of resume
- List of current and past extracurricular activities (including SHRM chapter involvement)
- Brief essay discussing your career goals and why you believe you should be selected for the scholarship. Also, explain your financial need for this scholarship. Maximum of two typed pages, double spaced.
- Two letters of recommendation – One from an active MT|SHRM Chapter Member preferred, but not required
- One official copy of your graduate or undergraduate transcript in sealed envelope to MT|SHRM, Attention: College Relations Scholarship Committee, 2546 Summit Court, Murfreesboro, TN 37130
2019 Application Deadline: November 8, 2019.
MT|SHRM Scholarship Review committee will select scholarship recipients based on the following selection criteria:
- 40% - Academic GPA and standing
- 20% - Volunteer Experience
- 40% - Financial need
- Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded at the December MT|SHRM monthly meeting.
For additional questions, please email [email protected]